Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Welcome to Disability Challenges with Terri DelCampo



Welcome to Disability Challenges!

In this first blog I want to introduce myself to you, whomever you might be, and tell you my story.  In future blogs I plan to not only talk about living with my own disabilities, and overcoming some of my limitations, (or finding my way through or around the obstacle course, as I look at it), but delving into the worlds of others I know who are disabled in various ways; for instance, I am currently engaged to a Viet Nam veteran who has various health problems including a bullet lodged in the back of his skull that causes him daily, excruciating headaches.  I watch him deal with the pain in addition to other health problems and feel that it bears mentioning to others who might benefit from his 48 years of experience.  

My Story:  

I plan to do four separate very detailed blogs dealing with each part of my personal story, but the short version is I had a car accident.  I had a shattered ankle, torn ACL/meniscus in my right knee, two out of 4 torn ligaments in my right rotator cuff, a broken left wrist, two broken ribs, a fractured sternum, and aggravation to spondylolisthesis in my lower back.  I experienced tachycardia the second day after the accident, which was controlled with meds and subsided.  

I was in the hospital after the accident for two weeks.  Then I spent four months in rehab, immobilized.  When I finally came home I had (and still have!) many residual limitations.  I consider them part of my daily obstacle course.  

During the time in rehab I learned a lot about treatment and the control insurance companies wield over it, patient care, other patients, employers' attitudes toward injured employees, and more.  

When I finally arrived home I learned even more about what it takes to survive with disabilities: how to deal with Social Security Disability, how to get through the obstacle course each day (including some tips on using equipment unconventionally), and how to stay positive.  

In this blog I want to share my thoughts, ideas, tips, information, links, and research with you, in hope that I can brighten your days a little, hopefully make things a little easier for you, or at least give you a place in the comments to share your experience if you wish, even vent loud and long if you need to. 

I will also write about some of my down moments because I think it's important to share the bad stuff too, because you shouldn't have to face it all alone.  

If you're in a bad way, I hope I can cheer you up a little.  If you've recovered and want to share some joy I hope you will comment.  If you have tips to share, I hope you will comment!  I look forward to seeing thoughts and ideas all over the place.  

Come visit my Disability Challenge blog frequently.  I hope to post at least once a month if not more often, though I publish a monthly dark fiction magazine (Owl's Eye View Magazine) as well as short stories on Friday Frights.  And I am an editor at Visionary Press Collaborative.  

My writing and editing takes up a huge chunk of time, but there is a special place in my heart for the disabled, our accomplishments; our struggles to win over the obstacles.  

Those struggles and achievements stir my writing passion.  It all must go onto the page.  Come and check out the blog!  Leave comments - share your stories in them.  I will look forward to hearing from you.  

Ter



No comments:

Post a Comment